Assignment 4 “Long-Term Investment Decisions”
Due Week 10 and worth 250 points
Assume that the industry you wrote about in Assignment 3 wants to expand and has to make some long-term capital budgeting decisions. Now the industry is confronted with government regulations to oversee the merger.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Explain why government regulation is or is not needed, citing the major reasons for government involvement in a market economy. Provide support for your explanation.
- Justify the rationale for the intervention of government in the market process in the U.S.
- Assume that the company’s is considering a merger. The possible merger currently faces some threats and that the industry decides on self-expansion as an alternative strategy, describe the additional complexities that would arise under this new scenario of expansion via capital projects.
- Analyze how the different forces will come together to create a convergence between the interests of stockholders and managers indicating the most likely impact to profitability. Provide support for your response.
- Use at least three (3) high-quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Assess how managerial economics is used in business decision making.
- Evaluate how government regulation is constraining and enabling for managerial decisions related to maximizing shareholder wealth.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in managerial economics and globalization.
- Write clearly and concisely about managerial economics and globalization using proper writing mechanics.