Assignment 1: Technology: Sharing Knowledge with Social Bookmarking
Social bookmarking is one of the new Web 2.0 applications, and businesses are looking at how it can be used for knowledge management. Social bookmarking sites are a popular way to store, classify, share, and search links.
Use the material in the textbook, Argosy online databases, and the Web to address the following questions:
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using social bookmarking for knowledge management?
- What management, organization, and technology issues should be addressed when deciding whether to use social bookmarking for knowledge management at a business?
- Are there different standards for posting bookmarks to public Web pages at a public Web site and posting bookmarks to internal corporate web pages on a corporate social bookmarking site?
- Visit the social bookmarking site Del.icio.us and search for bookmarks on a topic of your choice, such as global warming, bird flu, ethanol, or open-source. Then answer the following questions:
- How easy was it to find bookmarks about your topic? How many bookmarks did you find?
- Compare these bookmarks to the results of a search on your topic of choice using Google, Yahoo!, or another search engine. Which tools were the most useful in pointing you to good information?
- Would you use Del.icio.us to find information for a research paper or business presentation? Why or why not?
Your response should be a 2–3 page Microsoft Word document, double spaced, and in 12 point Times New Roman or New Courier font. Be sure to cite the references you used. All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources.